Search

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Man Good Enough For Me (and My Boyz)

written 05.26.2010, discussed 07.20.2010 - Photo credit - From the Web
Growing up with a lot of boys can be quite an experience. You tend to see the horrors and the humanity of the male society. But of course, you tend to get jaded about the sane population of the opposite sex, but somehow a faith in you grows that men are not that heartless as most women would say.

I am grateful having a bunch of guys who has been a part of my life since college years. I was in an all-girls high school so their friendship made up the balancing male force in my thinking. I admit I was a self-confessed feminist, but spending good and bad times with the guys I realized friendship does not even draw lines between the sexes. Oh yes, I do like to overpower men once in a while, but not to prove I belong to the better sex but because of my competitive nature. I learned to balance the female and male characteristics I have had. I became a better person in all. Somehow, being friends with the guys I learned to become a better friend in itself. 


And now that I am reaching the stage of choosing a life partner, the guys naturally get edgy. I mean, being likened to a little sister to them, they challenge any possible suitor I came across. In college, I always felt being protected by an invisible cocoon by their protective instinct. It felt really safe from the jerks of their kind.


But as I grow older, I know I must leave that cocoon soon. I must find someone to spend the rest of my life with. The one guy that I will devote most of my time to and would most likely meet the bunch of guys I dearly cherish. Whether they approve of him or not, and even if they test him in some way, I know my guys would respect my choice in time.


It will take time, definitely. I mean, they were always the guys on my priority list. But when this special guy will enter the scene, I know they will have to settle for second place. And I know there will be some resentment muttered but they will eventually accept that. Lesser party time, lesser visibility in our beer drinking nights, and definitely no more green jokes (at least not when my guy is around).


Guys are guys anyway and they will see my point when they know I have truly fallen in love. Men are generally accepting by the course of things but almost without any resistance. They will perhaps bully the poor guy to embarrassment and exchange a few punches but I know they will learn to love the guy I love. 


And it would not suprise me that they had always said bad things about the guy I am crushing on. They would never seem to see a man good enough for me. But in fact, they will - someday. Maybe because they see me to be too good to be true to ever find a partner fit enough to handle me. It is hard to understand how I understand men, so it is daunting to think that I do understand men and yet decided to commit to one in the end. 


Maybe one day, I will be wiping my tears from laughing so hard seeing my guy comfortably hanging out with my guy bunch. So its not my fault that I do think I need a guy who can get along with my guys. Someone who could understand that they are a part of my life as he is without any insecurity. 


I know someone good enough will eventually claim me and I know my guys would appreciate letting them know. I will of course, over a bottle of ice cold beer and with an attitude of acceptance. Or we could really get down to a poker game – whoever wins can do anything he wants. Betcha I win this game.


But really, in the end, I know they will understand my choice to stand beside a man for the rest of my life. (Kampai WBZ! Hang-over from last night! hehe) 

No comments: