Search

Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Tribute to Mamang on Mother's Day

Photo credit - Link
You went through a lot of  labor pains bringing me out into this world. You said I was born upside down with my umbilical cord wrapped around my neck so they had to cut me out from your tummy. You might have told yourself I might become a bit of a troublemaker at that point and to some degrees you were right. I have "difficult" written all over me right from the start but you still cried tears of joy when you first laid your eyes on me. 

And even if I am continually causing you pain every now and then, you still smile when you see my face or hear me call you "Mamang". I know I am a handful (and a mouthful) but you accepted me - perks and quirks- the flaws and all. I could be the next villain or mad scientist but you always save the day by being my own super hero. 

I am not a fan of being smothered but I must admit, I miss being your baby once in a while.

You did not get why I always have to hoard books and art stuffs or even why I spend those dorky hours online but you always make sure I eat on time, take my vitamins, and get some sleep. You allowed my creativity to flourish even if I did not do too well, you remain my number one fan. Always the self-contradictory, I never fail to confuse you sometimes but you accepted my decisions and supported me in all endeavors.

You still do not know why I keep coloring outside the lines or do something no one else would do in my own little non-conformist ways. But you never failed to comfort or just be there when I realize I made mistakes or have to begin again and again.

You know how to make me feel better. You do not need to understand what I am thinking or trying to do - you just know what to do with me most times. When I am in doubt or in a depressing mess, you were there hurting for me. You never left me alone while I was looking for my path. Even if you get frustrated with me because I never seem to settle with being mediocre or trying to blend in, you still stood by me. Watching, guiding, and still believing I can be more than I think I can become.

My gratitude to you never ends. Your believing in me has inspired me to always be myself even if the world is not ready to accept all of me. Because of your loving ways, I am becoming a better person than I thought I could ever be. I am having that courage to remain true to myself in this ever changing world and still remain the warm and loving woman I am learning myself to be.

Motherhood almost always defines unconditional love. To believe what you cannot understand. To being there even without knowing why. To still care when you have been hurt. To accept the truths no matter how the lies or expectations confuse you. To sacrifice your own happiness to be happy for someone else. To have that relationship that survives life changes. To communicate support by just being silent. To still make noodle soup for someone after an ugly argument. On top of it all, to never fail to love even if you seem to be hated. I think that right there is what make mothers the strongest persons in the universe. 

So on this Mother's Day, I just wanted the world to know what a great person you are, Mamang. I love you and will always be forever grateful. 

And to all the moms out there, kudos to your life's work ladies. You have my utmost respect for being in a role that only the strongest survive. Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: